Leading School Choirs
Do you have a school choir?
Would you like new ideas and skills to help develop the choir?
Are you passionate about children having access to high quality music making?
The Hallé are looking for 12 teachers/vocal leaders to take part in a training programme to develop their skills in leading a school choir and as a result enhance the quality of singing in their schools. The course will be run by leading children’s choir specialist, Shirley Court, and all sessions will take place in Manchester City Centre.
Who is this for?
- Teachers or vocal leaders who are passionate about continuing to improve the quality of singing within their school. They must have a choir, predominately made up of key stage 2 pupils and be able to read music to a basic level
What will this programme achieve?
- Improved choral singing and musicianship in schools with confident teachers who are able to teach singing in schools to a high quality
- Newly commissioned works that are suitable for primary choirs that can be used in a wider context
- A supportive network of teachers/vocal leaders who can share resources, issues and good practice
What will Trainees do?
- Attend 4 x 2-hour twilight sessions and 2 x 3-hour twilight sessions throughout the year (approx. once a month), the 3 hour session will include observing the Hallé Children’s Choir rehearsal which will act as a basis for discussion
- Bring their own children’s choir to attend a masterclass at Hallé St Peter’s. They will work with the Shirley Court on repertoire that has been chosen, discussed and prepared in twilight sessions
- Take part in a celebration performance at Hallé St Peter’s for all choir leaders and choirs taking part in the programme
What is required?
Those interested in taking part in this programme must submit a completed online application form (see below). When accepted they must sign a contract, supported by their Headteacher/Head of Service to agree to take part in all activities associated with the course. The deadline for applications is Monday 17 October 2016.
The course will run from November to June, avoiding busy times of the school year:
|Session 1||Tues 1 Nov 2016, 5pm – 7pm||Hallé at St Michael’s|
|Session 2||Wed 16 Nov 2016, 5pm – 8pm||Hallé at St Michael’s|
|Session 3||Tues 29 Nov 2016, 5pm – 7pm||Hallé at St Michael’s|
|Session 4||Wed 18 Jan 2017, 5pm – 8pm||Hallé at St Michael’s|
|Session 5||Tues 7 Feb 2017, 5pm – 7pm||Hallé at St Michael’s|
|Masterclass 1 (half the group)||Tues 14 Mar 2017, 9.30am – 3.30pm||Hallé St Peter’s|
|Masterclass 2 (half the group)||Tues 21 Mar 2017, 9.30am – 3.30pm||Hallé St Peter’s|
|Session 6||Tues 25 Apr 2017, 5pm – 7pm||Hallé at St Michael’s|
|Performance||Tues 13 Jun 2017, times TBC||Hallé St Peter’s|
The course is generously supported by the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation.
For more information please contact Michelle Robinson at email@example.com or 07837 517 105