Elgar Enigma Variations
Product code: cd hll 7501
EDWARD ELGAR (1857-1934)
1.-15. Variations on an original theme ('Enigma'), Op.36
Serenade for String Orchestra in E minor, Op.20
16. I Allegro piacevole
17. II Larghetto
18. III Allegretto - Coma prima
19. Cockaigne (In London Town), Op.40
20. Chanson de matin, Op.15 No.2
21. Original finale to 'Engima' Variations
WORLD PREMIERE RECORDING
Sir Mark Elder conductor
'a sonorous and spectacular performance of Elgar's Enigma Variations...Nimrod was graceful and serene'
'Elder's concept of Elgar was ... fluent and certainly thrilling'
- The Hallé is associated with Elgar perhaps more than any other composer.His unique relationship with the Orchestra,together with recent acclaimed concert performances of his work, makes him the perfect choice for two of the Hallé's opening releases.
- Elgar conducted the Hallé on many occasions, including, in October 1914, a performance of his Enigma Variations. The first performance of the work was given in London in the summer of 1899 conducted by Hans Richter who also conducted the Hallé during the first Manchester performance only months later.