1st Sep 2003
CD HLL 7504
Claire Rutter, Soprano
James Burton, Choral Director
HALLÉ CHRISTMAS CLASSICS
1. Anderson Sleigh Ride
2. Smart/Montgomery arr. Cullen Angels from the Realms of Glory
3. Trad. arr. Rutter Nativity Carol
4. Livingston & Evans arr. Cullen Silver Bells
5. McCartney & Davis The World You’re Coming Into from Paul McCartney’s Liverpool Oratorio (Eric Traulert treble)
6. Trad. arr. Gould The First Nowell
7. Mason/Watts arr. Rutter Joy to the World!
8. Leontovich/Wilhousky arr. Hayman Carol of the Bells
9. Adam/Dwight arr. Cullen O Holy Night
10. J.S. Bach transl. Bridges Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring
11. Davis/Newell The Most Wonderful Birthday of All
12. Pierpont arr. Gould Jingle Bells
13. Martin & Blane arr. Cullen, rev. Davis Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
14. Tchaikovsky Waltz of the Snowflakes from The Nutcracker
15. Berlin arr. Cullen White Christmas
‘Claire Rutter… thrilling confidence and elan… a true prima donna… [with] spine tingling top notes…’
This latest Hallé recording includes a wealth of Christmas favourites, under the direction of BAFTA award-winning conductor and composer, Carl Davis.
The album shows a different side to the Hallé and features new studio recordings by the renowned producer Andrew Keener. It includes both traditional carols such as The First Nowell, Angels from the Realms of Glory and O Holy Night, and timeless classics such as Sleigh Ride, Jingle Bells, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and, of course, White Christmas.
For his acclaimed film scores and charismatic conducting, Davis is a frequent and long-standing guest with the Hallé in Manchester and beyond, conducting a wide range of repertoire from TV and film themes to Gilbert and Sullivan. Acclaimed internationally for her portrayal of opera’s most famous heroines, soprano Claire Rutter features in many of the best-known tracks.