What We Do
Charles Hallé was a visionary. In 1858 he created an orchestra that Manchester immediately took to its heart, making world-class music accessible to everyone. In the 21st century our aim is to continue what our founder started and build on his legacy.
Sir Mark Elder CBE is determined to extend the Hallé’s ambitions, to offer performances of the highest possible quality and to take our music to those who would not otherwise be able to come and hear us.
Through the support of individuals, companies and trusts we are able to achieve the following:
- 250,000 concert-goers each year
- 35,000 young people engaged in our pioneering Education programme
- 10,000 school children in attendance at our annual Hallé for Youth Concerts
- 5,000 instrumentalists engaged in the ‘Come and Play with the Hallé’ project
- 1,000 participants in our schools ‘Adopt-a-player’ scheme
- 250 young musicians receiving weekly, top class music tuition through our youth ensembles
- 153 years of making music in Manchester
- 60+ Annual education projects
- 4 Associated Choirs and Youth Orchestras
- 1 World-class Orchestra
Find out more about how you can help