Meet-a-Musician is a scaled-down version of Hallé Education’s flagship programme, Adopt-a-Player, involving a single two-hour creative music workshop. The programme is adaptable to suit all ages from Reception through to Year 7/8, and is available to schools in Greater Manchester and across the north-west.
The project is designed for a class of 30 pupils and involves a visit from a Hallé player, who will demonstrate their instrument and tell the pupils about life as a professional musician. They will also help the class compose a short creative piece based around a particular theme or inspired by a piece of music from the orchestral repertoire (see lists below). To accompany the project, groups in Years 5-8 are also offered the opportunity to visit The Bridgewater Hall where they will hear the Hallé perform in a weekday matinee concert. For many children will be their first experience of attending an orchestral concert in one of the UK’s finest music venues.
Early Years groups will receive a workshop based around singing nursery rhymes and songs.
Years 1-4 can choose from four different workshop themes:
- Fun with Form – How a cheese sandwich relates to music composed in three sections and a ‘Big Mac’ to Rondo form!
- A Walk in the Forest – A workshop based on the sounds of the forest, whether they be animal, vegetable or mineral!
- Dinosaurs Meet – Two dinosaurs meet to do battle. The children will create their own prehistoric scene in music!
- A Ship in a Storm – Turning a picture into music by using the visual elements of the picture: the ship, the waves, the wind, thunder and lightning. Is the ship about to crash onto the rocks?
Years 5-8 will receive a workshop based around familiar music from the orchestral repertoire, usually from the examples given below. Where possible, workshops for groups attending a Hallé concert will be based on one of the pieces performed during the visit, helping to establish the connection with the orchestra. The following projects are available to all groups:
- ‘Rodeo’ from Copland’s Hoe-Down suite
- ‘The Galop’ from Rossini’s William Tell Overture
- ‘Jupiter’ from Holst’s suite The Planets
- Extracts from Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition
Meet-a-Musician workshops start from £125 + VAT. For prices including an accompanying concert visit or variations of the projects above please contact the education team.
If you would like to find out more about any of our projects and how to get involved, please contact the Education team on email@example.com