The Hallé Choir is offering choral singing scholarships to sing with the Hallé Choir. Starting in the 2018-2019 season the scholarships will support singers, aged 18 and over, who are in full-time education and who wish to expand their singing experience by joining the Hallé Choir.
By becoming become full members of the Hallé Choir, the Choral scholars will have the opportunity to rehearse and perform major choral repertoire with the Hallé Choir and the Hallé Orchestra, including Janacek’s Glagolitic Mass, Berlioz’s The Damnation of Faust and Mahler’s ‘Resurrection’ Symphony, with conductors such as Sir Mark Elder and Edward Gardner.
Choral scholarships will be awarded subject to annual audition – the programme runs on a rolling season-by-season basis. Successful candidates will receive an award of up to £300 per academic year (to be paid in instalments at the end of each successfully completed term). Other scholarship benefits include opportunities to observe orchestral rehearsals, complimentary tickets for Hallé concerts and vocal coaching.
Applicants will have a solid background of choral singing, be able to read music and sight-read at a good standard and able to demonstrate commitment to the demands of choral life.
Choral scholars will be expected to fulfil the Hallé Choir commitment and attendance requirements and to adhere to the general rules and regulations for all choir members.
The deadline for application has been extended to Friday 28 September 2018. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Choral Scholarship FAQ
What is the selection procedure?
Applications will be assessed after the closing date, with successful candidates being invited for interview and audition.
- At interview you will be expected to discuss how you will fulfil the Hallé Choir attendance requirements and meet the scholarship criteria. The interview will last approximately 10 minutes
- The audition will consist of a prepared solo song (own choice), as well as sight-reading & aural tests. The audition will last approximately 10 minutes
Payment of scholarship
- Scholarship funds will be paid directly into singers’ bank accounts in instalments, subject to successful completion of choral projects
- Attendance and performance will be monitored by the Hallé Choir Administrator and Hallé Choir Director
- The Hallé Choir reserves the right to reduce or withhold payment of any instalment, subject to the level of Chorus activity, relating either to the nature of the schedule or to an individual’s attendance
Leaving the Hallé Choir
- The scholarship will not be paid if choral scholars leave the Hallé Choir during the course of any given term, or fail to meet attendance or performance requirements and are dismissed from the choir
- As with any case of dismissal from the Hallé Choir, choral scholars will have the right to appeal to the Hallé Choir
- On leaving the Hallé Choir part way through a season, any instalments already paid will not need to be repaid. However, any future instalments, up to the balance of the full scholarship for the year, would be forfeited