Christmas Carol Competition
The Hallé Choir is delighted to announce that our Christmas Carol Competition is now open. The winner will be the entrant whose composition, in the opinion of the judges, demonstrates originality and flair.
The deadline for receipt of entries is 1700 hours BST on 31 May 2017. Entries received after this time will not be considered.
- One entry per person only
- The composition (original music) must be written for performance by the Hallé Choir (i.e. SATB a cappella choir), and be not more than 5 minutes in length
- Open to UK residents born after 1st January 1987
- Entries may be sacred or secular, using new or existing text, but must be an original musical composition
THE JUDGING PANEL
- Matthew Hamilton – Hallé Choral Director
- Jonathon Heywood – Hallé Assistant Conductor
- Prof. Adam Gorb – Head of Composition, RNCM
- Merryl Webster – Chair, Hallé Choir
- The winning entry will receive its first public performance by the Hallé Choir in a Christmas Concert in December 2017
- The winning composer will be awarded a commission by the Hallé Concerts Society to write for the Hallé Choir, Hallé Youth Choir or Hallé Youth Orchestra, at the sole option of the Hallé Concerts Society
One winner will be chosen from the shortlist by the final judges. Results of the competition will be published in October 2017 on https://www.halle.co.uk/the-halle-family/halle-choir/christmas-carol-competition/.
The prize includes reasonable standard class travel to and from the December 2017 concert and, if necessary owing to distance, to one night’s accommodation for the winner and a guest. The accommodation will be on a room-only basis sharing one twin/double room. The travel method(s) and level of accommodation and exact location will be selected by the Promoter at its sole discretion and notified reasonably in advance to the winner.
HOW TO ENTER
Entrants should send 3 printed copies of their entry, along with full contact details, proof of age, and (if applicable) proof of permission to use any text in copyright, to:
Hallé Carol Competition
FAO Jo Pink,
Hallé Concerts Society
The Bridgewater Hall,
Manchester M1 5HA
Entries will be anonymised before being passed to the judging panel.
DETAILED TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The Promoter is Hallé Concerts Society.
- All entries/materials are submitted to the Promoter at the entrant’s own risk and the Promoter will not be liable for any lost or damaged entries/materials. The competition is open only to composers who have not assigned their rights in the musical composition to a third party. Manuscripts will not be returned.
- Entries must be the original work of the author, who is an unsigned composer (i.e. not contracted to a publisher or recording company) and not previously published, and the winner agrees that the Hallé Choir reserves the right to give the first performance. Entrants promise they are free to grant the rights required by the Promoter without breaching any third party copyright and/or contract and that they are not a member of PRS, MCPS or any other collecting society.
- Entries must be the original, previously unpublished work of the author, and not previously performed in public.
- Entrants should choose lyrics which are out of copyright, or ensure that they have obtained the appropriate permissions from the copyright holder.
- By submitting an entry, Entrants warrant that they are the sole author of the Composition and words, or have used words that are not protected by copyright, or have obtained the agreement from any third party with a right to use the words, for example but not limited to a music publisher.
- Entrants will indemnify the Hallé Concerts Society and the Hallé Choir against loss, injury or damage (including any legal costs of expenses and any compensation costs and disbursements paid by the Hallé Concerts Society or the Hallé Choir) in breach of this warranty or arising out of any claim alleging that the submitted entry constitutes an infringement of copyright or contains libellous, obscene or defamatory matter.
- The winner agrees to participate in an interview for the Hallé Choir about the competition.
- Entrants will retain copyright in their submitted entries, however, by entering, all entrants license the Hallé Concerts Society and the Hallé Choir a worldwide royalty-free license to perform in public the composition for five years from the date of first public performance. For the avoidance of any doubt, the Promoter is under no obligation to use any entries. Owing to the nature of the internet, the Promoter will not be liable for any publications which cannot be removed either online and/or digital versions.
- Promoter reserves the right to amend Terms & Conditions at any time (changes will be published on https://www.halle.co.uk/the-halle-family/halle-choir/christmas-carol-competition/).Rules printed on https://www.halle.co.uk/the-halle-family/halle-choir/christmas-carol-competition/ form part of these Terms & Conditions.